Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Go Ahead - Bang Your Head on the Pew, They'll Just Think You're Really Moved by the Holy Spirit

Our little Catholic school has a wonderful tradition. Every Thursday the priest says a special Mass for all the school children (public invited, of course!). During this "school Mass", the priest uses the readings and Gospel that will be used on the upcoming Sunday. The children get to hear it in a small setting and then he gives an age appropriate homily so they really understand the message. The theory is that when they go to Mass on Sunday with their family, they will have a good background and be more open to hearing and understanding God's word. Beautiful!

As our family sat in Mass Sunday night listening to the Gospel, Tween turned and whispered to me, "This is the same Gospel they read to us on Thursday." Aloud, I said, "Yeah, you're right, sweetie. It always is - they do it that way on purpose." In my head, I was thinking, "SIX years of going to both Masses EVERY week and this is the first time you have noticed this!?!" And then Tween looked at me and said, "Oh, I guess this is the first time I actually listened to both of them." Humbling.

No comments: