Monday, October 13, 2008

Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy


From the dust jacket: In a small Greek island village, a group of travelers from around the world and the local residents they encounter are brought together in unexpected ways when sudden tragedy strikes.

Finally a fluffy “read it in an afternoon” comfortable book! I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I think I have read all of Maeve Binchy’s books. She has several that follow this same kind of format – disparate strangers thrown together forge bonds, lives interweave, what starts out seeming inconsequential becomes more important as the characters are fully revealed. But the tales are interesting and even if it all ties up a little too neatly at the end – it's a gentle pleasure. This is a “curl up on the couch and don’t move except for food and drink” kind of book – closer to my favorite kind than the first two books that I have read for this challenge have been but still not quite there yet!

No comments: