Monday, December 8, 2008

A Game for the Idle

A Game for the Idle, picked up from the Happy Catholic. Because, you know, that despite having mountains of things to do (that was an allusion to laundry!), I remain idle.

Bold anything that you have done.

1. Started your own blog
Here you are!
2. Slept under the stars
Courtesy of the Boy Scouts of America.
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland/Disney World
I've been to both. My family lived in both California and Florida when I was young. We took our children to Disney World last year and had a wonderful time.
8. Climbed a mountain
I was lucky enough to chaperon our parish high school youth trip hiking the Camino de Santiago. My preconceived notion of Spain was that it was flat - I was wrong! We climbed lots and lots of mountains.
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
My high school graduation present was a European tour with the high school French Club.It was a fifty countries in twenty days kind of event! I wish I could do it again now as an adult although I probably wouldn't have the stamina.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
I'm going to assume that we are using the term "art" loosely and will include crafty things here like scrapbooking and cross-stitching.
15. Adopted a child
I almost bolded this one - we have a child we sponsor through Catholic Charities but I think the intent here is a full adoption.
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
That high school tour again - it started with a layover on New York!
18. Grown your own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
High school tour.
20. Slept on an overnight train
At one point during our three years in Maine, I was so desperate to escape to the south, that I bought a 30 day rail pass and embarked on a train trip to visit the East Coast relatives. That experience is a post all of it's own waiting to be written.
21. Had a pillow fight
I've had real ones in my younger days; now I'm having virtual ones on Facebook!
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
Do this ALL the time. Luckily the definition of sick is fairly broad and there's a little box on the leave slip that I can check about appointments for family members. I figure that covers almost anything I need to do. Some would say "field trip", I say "appointment" for a tour.
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
One of my favorite memories growing up in Florida was watching the sun drop down into the water at the end of each day. The Gulf makes for a very dramatic sunset.
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise
My 40th birthday present to myself was a cruise with a girlfriend who was also turning 40. It was great and I can't believe I haven't done another one yet.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
That would be Norway and, no, I've never been.
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (in general)
We should be satisfied. In today's consumer culture there always seems to be something more that we want to have but in reality, we have plenty and for that I am very thankful.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
High school tour ...again!
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo's David
And the tour...again!
41. Sung karaoke
Just a few times but both quite memorable. Once Bonnie Raitt while out with Ex_Marine and a girlfriend (same girlfriend I cruised with in #32). Had too may drinks, thought I could sing, and then fell in the parking lot and ripped a hole in the knee of my pants. Other time was with a group of old friends at a reunion... no drink this time as I was quite pregnant..hence no ripped clothing either!
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
Too many times to count - love the coast.
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
Dang...that high school tour really helped me out here.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
Mixed memories here. Too much pressure too soon as a young teenager but now, great fun here in my small town with my kids and their friends.
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
And eaten.
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
Sometimes they tempt me now that they have displays in the grocery stores.
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
Unfortunately yes. Worst one...in college, I bounced a check for a kids meal at Burger King. That $2.00 meal probably cost me $22.00!
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
My mother saved my "Little People", my kids played with them, and I bet their kids will play with them too!
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
A few times.
71. Eaten caviar
If I get organized, I'll post the caviar dip recipe that I like. Don't hold your breath!
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
Bookworm and I were treated to a weekend in New York by her grandparents. Times Square and everything else was amazing. I didn't think I would like it very much considering how much I love the slow pace of a small town but I loved it. Wish I could afford to go back!
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
Steak-N-Shake at age 15.
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
Just guess...
77. Broken a bone
Two fingers of my right hand.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
With a boy who was showing off.
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
I wish!
82. Bought a brand new car
Stupidly...yes...more than once. I know it goes against all the financial advisers but financial restraint has never been a strong suit of mine or Ex-Marine's. .
83. Walked in Jerusalem
Another wish.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper
You now I assume yes, but can't really remember a specific instance. But I am sure I have - my wedding announcement if nothing else!
85. Read the entire Bible
Hanging my head in shame.
86. Visited the White House
I think I was in about the fifth grade with my family. It's been awhile!
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
well, when you go crabbing, you bring them home alive and the cooking kills them so I guess that will count!
88. Had chickenpox
Yes, as a child. Bookworm had them at age one. Boys had the shot so I guess they'll never experience that.
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
I started one with girlfriends but we petered out after a few months. I do book challenges online - kind of the same idea?
93. Lost a loved one
All of my grandparents have passed away.
94. Had a baby
Yes...yes....yes.
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
More than one. It's my lifeline with these three busy children!
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Read an entire book in one day
Many times - I'm a book slut.

No comments: