Thursday, December 18, 2008

Nighttime Is My Time by Mary Higgins Clark

I took a breather from heavy reading to enjoy this Mary Higgins Clark - Nighttime is My Time. (And I continue my fun with the Maeve Binchy I started as soon as I closed  the cover on this one - should be done with that sometime tomorow!)  I would have to look back at the other Mary Higgins Clark books I've read to be certain but I think the central character is always a youngish, attractive, succesful woman. This one is no different. These herioines would be likeable if they were at all realistic but they are too good to be true so you are always vaguely aware that you are immersed in fiction. The rest of the characters are exaggerated to the point of caricature. But I recognize that for what it is - a tool to differentiate such a large cast of characters in the least amount of time.
 
So readng thus far you might think I didn't actually like the book - my comments aren't very flattering. But that's not true. I love reading Mary Higgins Clark and this was another winner. She comes up with plots that are full of twists and turns, I rarely figure out "who dun it' before the very end of the story. It is escapism and very fun. You know you're reading a contrived story but it's a great story and I always want to read straight through to the end to find out who the villain really is (insert evil laugh here).  

No comments: