Sunday, December 21, 2008

Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen

From the dust jacket: It's an otherwise ordinary Monday when Meghan Fitzmaurice's perfect life hits a wall. A household name as the host of "Rise and Shine", the country's highest rated morning television talk show, Meghan cuts to a commercial break - but not before she does something that, in an instant, marks the end of an era, not only for Meghan who is accustomed to dealing with adversity, but also for her younger sister, Bridget.

I was dead tired when I started the book but I had to read the first 35 pages through my half closed eyes just because I was so curious about what the main character, Meghan, does on air to start this ball rolling. Of course, I won't reveal that here! But in actuality the story isn't about that moment, it's about all the repercussions from that moment. It's about the relationship of the two sisters and there was much more delving into the character of the "lesser sister" than I expected, Bridget, the one who wasn't famous but lived her life in her sister's shadow. But isn't that what you find with all good storytellers? It's not the event or the setting or the activities that make the story - it's the relationships.


Anna Quindlen is a favorite author. I've read Black and Blue, Blessings, Object Lessons, and Loud and Clear. Rise and Shine would be in the category of Blessings - a good read but not her best. Black and Blue was the best - at least for me - I like the kind of books that at some point make you feel like you've just been punched in your emotional gut. Object Lessons was not a favorite - my review is here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked Rise and Shine, too, but loved One True Thing even more. And I also enjoyed her book of essays: How Reading Changed My Life.