Monday, March 9, 2009

Pity party over, time to work!

Discovered this week that a friend who is the young mother of six beautiful children has breast cancer. Another friend, mother of two young boys, is in the hospital as her third battle with breast cancer has taken a bad turn due to side effects during treatment. These are REAL problems.

My kid is on the path to becoming a juvenile delinquent - so what? At least I am here and healthy so that I can deal with it and hopefully live to see him come through the other side. Ex-Marine may be out of work - so what? I have a good job, he has military retirement - yes, belt tightening would have to occur but we would survive. We'll figure out college - Bookworm is so smart she will qualify for the scholarship for state schools - she just may not be going out of state - and in reality she doesn't seem to care. She's perfectly content to go in-state; it's probably me living vicariously through her more than anything else! These are WHINES - not real problems.

So I kind of picked myself up yesterday - shined my sink - and came back. I went out to dinner at the Outback with a group of old girlfriends. I had a Cosmopolitan, a steak filet, shrimp stuffed with lobster, and later, poundcake with strawberries and whipped cream. BUT...no bread. I gave up bread for Lent. (Yes, I am questioning the value of this sacrifice as I have to wear elastic waist pants today because I am still so full.) I got my ducks in a row for a training I had to conduct today for about 65 childcare providers....a tough audience at the end of the day; they have been known to fall asleep - but not tonight, at least not not during my portion!

I've made a list of all the book reviews in draft form in various stages of completion - I'm putting them here to hold myself accountable! Damn, John Adams is still not in the list.
Beyond the White House by Jimmy Carter
We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates (even after I said I would never read her again!)
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
The Constant Princess by Philippa GregoryBeach House by James Patterson

So Cryapalooza 2009 has ended.

No comments: