Friday, June 12, 2009

Shopaholic & Sister by Sophie Kinsella

From the author's website: What’s a round-the-world honeymoon if you can’t buy the odd souvenir to ship back home? Like the twenty silk dressing gowns Becky found in Hong Kong…the hand-carved dining table (and ten chairs) from Sri Lanka…the, um, huge wooden giraffes from Malawi (that her husband Luke expressly forbade her to buy)… Only now Becky and Luke have returned home to London and Luke is furious. Two truckloads of those souvenirs have cluttered up their loft, and the bills for them are outrageous. Luke insists Becky go on a budget. And worse: her beloved best friend Suze has found a new best friend while Becky was away. Becky’s feeling rather blue—when her parents deliver some incredible news. She has a long-lost sister! Becky is thrilled! She’s convinced her sister will be a true soulmate. They’ll go shopping together, have manicures together.…Until she meets Jessica for the first time and gets the shock of her life. Surely Becky Bloomwood’s sister can’t…hate shopping?

My favorite part of the Shopaholic books are the memos and letters interspersed throughout from various bankers or creditors to Rebecca. I find their reactions to Rebecca's behavior much more amusing than Rebecca's actual behavior. With her, I just get angry, she makes the same mistakes over and over again but then everyone just finds it endearing and all is well in the end - pffft. I looked back at my reading journal and I liked the first book in the series - I gave it an 8, then the next one I read I gave a 7, and now here is this one with a 6. It's just all been downhill! (I have to take one second and say how disappointed I was in the Shopaholic movie. It did not translate well to the big screen but the book is really cute and fun!) So with the negativity said, I'll read a 6 - this is light, light, light easy reading - fluffy, finish in a couple of hours reading. Some days, that's just what I want.

This is on my list for the Spring Reading Thing 2009. Click on the logo to see the rest of my list.

No comments: