Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

From Pemberly.com: First published in 1813, Pride and Prejudice has consistently been Jane Austen's most popular novel. It portrays life in the genteel rural society of the day, and tells of the initial misunderstandings and later mutual enlightenment between Elizabeth Bennet (whose liveliness and quick wit have often attracted readers) and the haughty Darcy. The title Pride and Prejudice refers (among other things) to the ways in which Elizabeth and Darcy first view each other.

I am the last woman in the world to read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Because I have waited to be the last one, everything that could possibly be said about the book has already been said. The website Pemberly.com referenced above is a perfect example - it takes apart the book bit by bit, has maps of the locations, the entire text online all with link after link to explore more. Did I do all that? No. I just read the book and enjoyed the story. Apparently at some point in my life, I had picked up the book and started it because the beginning was vaguely familiar. But I know I didn't finish because I didn't know how it ends and I kept reading this time because I really wanted to know! It's tempting to pick up another, different Jane Austen to read if only to finally be able to put them on as "read" at Library Thing - it's so embarrassing to be an Austen illiterate. But that's not how I mapped out my challenge and I want to stick with my original plan. So I get the pleasure of watching the Pride and Prejudice movies next and seeing the story come to life

I read this book as part of the Everything Austen Challenge hosted by Stephanie at Stephanie's Written Word.

No comments: