Friday, July 31, 2009

The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

From the author's website: When Betta Nolan's husband, John, dies, she honors a promise she made to him to sell their house, drive across the country until she finds a town she likes, and move there. This is a novel about starting life over, and purposely enriching that life with the many pleasures, especially the small and free ones, that are always available to us. It also challenges the notion that a widow must or should behave in a certain way; and it shows how love does not die, but rather changes form.

This was the first book I have ever read by Elizabeth Berg and it was a treat. I loved the characters - Delores the real estate agent, Jovani the roommate and Lorraine the good friend. And, of course, Matthew, the "last puppy in the cage". I even liked the "mean" ones - Melanie and Lydia. Berg made the Midwest seem so romantic I had fantasies about moving to a place that actually has seasons so I could gather fall leaves and lay them across my own kitchen windowsill. When she wrote about awkward moments like the forced friendly conversation with her Boston neighbor Sheila and the first date with Tom, it seemed so real I felt embarrassed for Betta! The Year of Pleasures was a delightful read and I will definitely be looking for other books by Elizabeth Berg. I may have one appear in my mailbox. There was this website readberg.com that offered, in exchange for a short review, to mail a "classic" Elizabeth Berg book while supplies last. It's the while supplies last that will probably kick me out of the free book line - I'm sure I am late to the party..again!

This book is my "Y" for the A-Z Reading Challenge! Click on the logo to see my progress.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

That book does sound wonderful. I have one of the author's books lingering in my TBR pile.