Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

I read parts of this book when it came out years ago - just skimmed enough to know what happened. At that point, I was in a Harry Potter slump - just kind of sick of it all. I came back to read this one cover to cover before I go to see the movie and I'm so glad I did. I really enjoyed it this time. I was able to relax about it and enjoy the details. When you read these books, if you allow yourself the luxury of reading with attention - something I don't do nearly enough because I'm perpetually rushed - the world J.K Rowling has created is enthralling with it's rich detail. Even the things like Quidditch matches, which I really could not care less about, come to life and feel exciting when I take the time to really process what I am reading. The romantic in me was so happy that "It" finally happened -and just in case I'm not the last one to read the book, I won't spoil it by saying what "It" is! I am now patiently waiting for the movie to come to the theater on base where admission is only $2.00 and you can get a tub of popcorn, a large candy, and a large drink for less than $5.00. See - that's what 23 years in the Marine Corps can provide your family - discount movies for the rest of your life!

I wish I felt ambitious enough to go back and start the series over from the beginning because if I did, I would join the new Harry Potter Reading Challenge hosted by Michelle at Galleysmith

No comments: