Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand? August 2009



***This was supposed to be up at the end of August and now here it is the middle of September, let's just pretend it's still August!***
From last month's list I read and reviewed Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (I think I will get to see the movie this weekend - hooray!) and Bridget Jones's Diary, the latter for the Everything Austen challenge hosted by Stephanie's Written Word. I didn’t have to read nearly as much of my boy's summer reading assignment selections as I expected - I guess they are growing up sniff, sniff! So I just read a smidgen of Holes, Pollyanna, and Treasure Island. I started and abandoned Reading Lolita in Tehran; it has gotten good reviews so I will give it another chance another time but I just wasn't in the mood for it right now. That leaves me still in need of an R book for the A-Z Reading Challenge . And - big news - yesterday was my one year blogoversary! Happy Blog Birthday to me, if you click back you will see I have had a giveaway to celebrate. (But I am so late posting this that it is done - boo, hiss.)Here's what this month looks like….

John Adams still anchors the bottom of the nightstand, no progress there. Next is Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder, an ARC from Library Thing that I have almost finished. It's a great tale about a young African man, Deo, who survived the genocide in his home country Burundi and again in Rwanda. It alternates between his life there and his new start in New York City - they are each horrifying and hopeful in their own way. Next is Nefrititi which is the August selection for the Facebook Historical Fiction book group. The author is available for questions Thursday so I need to get cracking on that one or I will miss out - all the book clubber's reviews so far have been great! Then I have The Art of Racing in the Rain - it's another I wanted to read this week for Jennifer at the Literate Housewife's Dog Days of Summer. If I called in sick the rest of the week maybe I would get both of these read on time!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I heard Tracy Kidder speak at BEA and he was fascinating so I'm really looking forward to reading his book. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. I really enjoyed The Art of Racing in the Rain.