Friday, May 7, 2010

The Guy Not Taken by Jennifer Weiner

From the Amazon product descriptuon: Jennifer Weiner's talent shines like never before in this collection of short stories, following the tender, and often hilarious, progress of love and relationships over the course of a lifetime. From a teenager coming to terms with her father's disappearance to a widow accepting two young women into her home, Weiner's eleven stories explore those transformative moments in our every day.

This was a much more interesting read than I expected. I went into it thinking it would be fluffy "chick-lit" just broken up into short stories but it really was deeper than that. Not all of the stories had a happy ending, in many of them, the romance just doesn't work out and some don't have romance at all! I did not enjoy the more far-fetched stories, for example, one with a hostage situation and one that involved somethign akin to time travel - but that's only two out of probably twenty so I'd say overall I liked it. There were some parts funny enough to make me out loud and a few parts that made me cry - a nice mix.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Weiner's work is just okay for me - maybe I'd enjoy it more in these short stories.