Sunday, December 12, 2010

Helen of Pasedena by Lian Dolan

From Goodreads: Helen Fairchild leads a privileged Pasadena existence: married to a pillar of the community; raising a fine, water polo-playing son; volunteering on the most fashionable committees. It only bothers Helen a tiny bit that she has never quite fit in proper Pasadena for lots of little reasons. And then, out of nowhere, along comes a Rose Parade float, killing her philandering husband and leaving Helen broke, out of her beloved home and scrambling to salvage her once-rarefied existence. Enter Dr. Patrick O'Neill, noted archaeologist, excavator of Troy and wearer of nubby sweaters, and Helen's new boss. Distracted by her incredibly attractive boss, Helen teeters in to her new life which teems with characters. While uncovering secrets about ancient Troy alongside Patrick, Helen discovers more: a new sense of self and a new love.


What a fun book! Not sure how to categorize this - it's not a romance but there is romance in it, it seems more substantial than what I think of chick lit but it is wickedly funny. I thought the humor captured the world of private school moms right on with a great satirical tone that I loved. The romance wasn't heavy handed so it was okay by me, I could have done without it and just wallowed in her experiences as a mother and still enjoyed the book. I was happy to read that there are other books planned by this author along the same vein, I'll look forward to reading them.


I read this book for the Library Thing Early Reviewers program.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like a great book! I love your review.