Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - the movie

****This post contains spoilers.****
Lisbeth deserves front and center, don't you think? She is such a great character and Noomi Raapce brought her to life perfectly. If an established actress had the role it would have been such a distraction, instead Noomi personifies Lisbeth for me now and I wonder when the American version comes out if I can possibly accept another actor in the role. I love Lisbeth's power and strength and smarts. When she triumphs over her evil guardian, I feel ecstatic.

I watched the Swedish movie with subtitles in English and felt a wonderful sense of satisfaction at seeing the story play out on the screen! The book was a little slow going for me at first but the movie somehow managed to condense all of that framework and get right into the meat. I wondered though, if you had not read the book, would you be feeling lost or would it still make sense?


I was equally pleased with the casting of Erika Berger. I was so glad to see an actress who showed a few miles on her face. She is supposed to be a mature woman so I was happy she wasn't cast with a too young looking actress. Did I miss it or did the movie gloss over the whole "I'm married but my husband is okay with me sleeping with you" part of the book? That was one of my few say "ugh" and roll your eyes parts of the book.

So, in summary...loved, loved, loved it and will be renting the next two soon!

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read the book yet, but from what I've heard, this movie might be too graphic for me.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

The casting was fantastic in this! I'm terrified of how Hollywood is going to do with th remake.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I read the book and didn't really enjoy it that much. It was too bogged down in information. But I've hear the swedish movie is great. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books