Saturday, February 12, 2011

Marley and Me by Josh Grogan

From Goodreads: The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life.

I saw this movie awhile ago when it first came out and thought it was cute. I like Jennifer Anniston and Owen Wilson and dogs so not much was needed beyond that to please me, the bar was low. I didn't know if I would extend that low bar to the audiobook but it turns out there was no need. The book has more depth to it than the movie did. Grogan's voice as a columnist comes through and the humor and sadness make a great combination. Listening to Josh Grogan's speaking voice, however, was a big question mark for me at first but, while I never grew to enjoy it, I did get used to it. I have a hard time saying he didn't sound right since it is his story he is telling but let's just say that the occasional author narrated audiobook really makes you appreciate the professional narrators. I'm ready to rent the movie now so I can watch it again and see how closely it follows book.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I bought this book in print after reading The Longest Trip Home, but haven't been in the right mood to read it.