Monday, March 26, 2012

The Shadow of Your Smile by Mary Higgins Clark

From Goodreads: At age eighty-two and in failing health, Olivia Morrow knows she has little time left. The last of her line, she faces a momentous choice: expose a long-held family secret, or take it with her to her grave. Olivia has in her possession letters from her deceased cousin Catherine, a nun, now being considered for beatification by the Catholic Church--the final step before sainthood. The letters Olivia holds are the evidence that Catherine gave birth at age seventeen to a child, a son, and gave him up for adoption. Olivia knows the identity of the young man who fathered Catherine's child: Alex Gannon, who went on to become a world-famous doctor, scientist, and inventor holding medical patents.

Now, two generations later, thirty-one-year-old pediatrician Dr. Monica Farrell, Catherine's granddaughter, stands as the rightful heir to what remains of the family fortune. But in telling Monica who she really is, Olivia would have to betray Catherine's wishes and reveal the story behind Monica's ancestry. To silence Olivia and prevent Monica from learning the secret, some will stop at nothing--even murder.


My track record with Mary Higins Clark has been kind of spotty the last few years, I even wondered if maybe she was just past the point of writing books I would truly enjoy. But this one was a winner. I really had to trim down the description from Goodreads because there is so much going on in this book - plots and sub-plots and sub-sub-plots. She still laid it all out pretty simplistically so it remains the easy read that you expect from a MHC but easy with oomph if that makes any sense! Good mystery that I didn't have completely figured out too soon!

I am trying to reach 100 books this year - I've never done it before although I have come very close, click on the logo to see how I am doing for this year!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read Higgins Clark in a while because she got kind of spotty with me too. It sounds like this one's worth reading.

Flint Auto Locksmith said...

Grateful for sharing tthis